Monroe County Finger Lakes PTAC is growing its portfolio of resources to help businesses sell to the government and military. Here are a few basics to get started. Monroe County Finger Lakes PTAC provides more resources after you have attended a workshop or scheduled a one-on-one session, such as opportunities for federal subcontracting, government agency contacts, print materials and websites.
- International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) - All manufacturers, exporters, and brokers of defense articles, defense services, or related technical data, as defined on the United States Munitions List (Part 121 of the ITAR) , are required to register with Directorate of Defense Trade Controls.
*These publications can also be reviewed at any DoD purchasing or contract administration office, at any Small Business Administration (SBA) office, and at many local libraries (where they are known as Chapters 1 and 2 of Title 48 of the Code of Federal Regulations). To be a successful Defense contractor, you must have a working knowledge of these regulations.
- U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) - Its mission is to support and defend the Constitution of the United States; to provide for the common defense of the nation, its citizens and its allies; and to protect and advance U.S. interests around the world. In peacetime, the U.S. works with friends and allies to promote a stable world that supports economic growth and provides opportunities for emerging democracies. The routine deployment of U.S. forces overseas, combined with maintenance of ready forces at home, promotes stability and deters the use of force against U.S. interests. The same military forces that help shape the international environment can also respond quickly to threats to U.S. security when crises arise. In support of its basic mission, the DoD fields the best trained, best equipped, best prepared fighting force in the world; supports alliances and security relationships that protect and advance U.S. security interests; furthers national interests by working effectively with other federal agencies, Congress, and the private sector; and serves as a model of effective, efficient, innovative management and leadership.
- Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) - A U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) agency. The DLA Director reports to the Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology and Logistics through the Deputy Under Secretary of Defense (Logistics and Materiel Readiness). DLA provides worldwide logistics support for the missions of the Military Departments and the Unified Combatant Commands under conditions of peace and war. It also provides logistics support to other DoD components and certain federal agencies, foreign governments, international organizations, and others as authorized.
- U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) - Currently, there are two contract-related certification programs. These include 8(a) Business Development and Historically Underutilized Business Zone (HUBZone). Each can provide firms with a competitive edge in federal contracting.
- State University of New York at Brockport's Small Business Development Center (SBDC) - One of five centers spearheading the Defense Economic Transition Assistance (DETA) program. SBDC�s mission is to assist new and existing small business owners in all areas of start-up, expansion, and the resolution of organizational, financial, and marketing problems that may arise in day-to-day operations. The DETA program assists small businesses which have been adversely affected by Defense Department military base closings and reductions in defense spending. SBDC also assists businesses seeking NYS Minority Certification, which provides a competitive advantage in the bidding process.
- Association of Procurement Technical Assistance Centers (APTAC) - Formally AGMAS, was organized in 1985 to represent the interests and address the concerns of a growing nationwide network of procurement assistance professionals. APTAC developed a website portal Selling to the Government for the exchange of information and ideas among all operators of government marketing assistance programs and other related programs for the purpose of interstate and intrastate communication, program development and professional enhancement.